Written by Nik Crossman //
Taking his name from the Nintendo 64 game, Wave Racer (born Tom Purcell) made waves in early 2014 with his effervescent electronic sound, quickly becoming one of the most rotated artists on Australia’s Triple J and a staple for international radio stations like BBC1 and KCRW.
Despite having only been on the scene for two years, Wave Racer has already gained attention from such electronic heavyweights as Diplo, Flume, Madeon and Skrillex for his disco-house flair and aquatic remixes.
Touring with both Disclosure and Chromeo and performing at large-scale festivals like HARD Summer, Dour, Peacock Society, Falls and Mad Decent Boat Party, Wave Racer has made his way around the globe and become well-known for mixing vocal samples with synthesized trumpets and bass-guitar slaps to elevate his soothing, sunrise melodies.
With opening support from Australian electronic producer/DJ and Future Classic labelmate Basenji, Wave Racer will stop through SF this Friday to play Mezzanine as part of his fifth U.S. tour. Tickets are available for $20 at the door, or you could win a pair of tickets by submitting your full name and email below.
Contest ends this Friday at 3 p.m.
Follow Showbams on Twitter for more contest giveaways throughout the week. Be the first to respond to our contest tweets to GO4FREE to these shows:
• Hot Flash Heat Wave: March 23rd (WED) at Brick & Mortar Music Hall
• Kawehi: March 23rd (WED) at The Chapel
• Phil Cook: March 24th (THUR) at The Chapel
• Vela Eyes: March 26th (SAT) at Brick & Mortar Music Hall
• Yuck: March 26th (SAT) at Great American Music Hall
• Cool Ghouls: March 28th (MON) at Brick & Mortar Music Hall
• Lissie: March 30th (WED) at Slim’s
• Earthless: March 31st (THUR) at Slim’s
• Birds of Chicago: April 2nd (SAT) at Great American Music Hall
Enter your name (First and Last) along with your email below. If you win a contest, you’ll be notified on the day the contest ends (details above).